Healthy living is something that every person should strive for, especially in this high-paced world where the pressures of daily life affect us so negatively.
Healthy living is determined by different factors for every person. For most people, it’s getting more exercise and eating a healthy diet. But, how do you know if you eat healthily or not? This article will provide you with some basic guidelines to help you achieve a healthy living lifestyle.
Why is healthy eating so important?
Healthy eating means eating a variety of foods that give you the nutrients you need to maintain your overall health, feel good, and also reduce the risk of developing diseases and illness. It’s important to eat foods from all types of food groups. If you find yourself avoiding certain food groups, such as fruits and vegetables, then it may be time to adjust the way you eat.
Healthy Eating Tips
- Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables — Fruits and vegetables are packed with a lot of vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, and fiber. They’re also low in fat and calories which makes them excellent both for snacking or as part of any meal. Eating at least 5 portions of fruit and vegetables each day to keep your body fit and healthy.
- Eat breakfast — The absence of breakfast is a good indicator that you do not eat very healthy. If you do not eat breakfast you need to begin working on aspects of your diet, as your body may think that that it’s starving.
- Go for whole wheat bread instead of white bread — Many whole grains products are fortified with additional vitamins and minerals. This ensures that you are receiving extra nutrients, but you should not rely on fortified foods alone. You must get these nutrients in their natural form as well.
- Have a moderate amount of high-fat foods and look for low-fat varieties including dairy products
- Drink a lot of water — Water is the foundation of life. Your body needs plenty of water to maintain a healthy diet.
- Eat less salt — Excessive salt intake could lead to heart disease. Hence you should limit the amount of salt, particularly the older people and those with heart problems.
Getting Physically Active
Getting physically active is one of the great ways to keep the body fit and healthy. Almost all sorts of activities and sports can help you achieve the goal. Some of them include brisk walking, running, jogging, cycling, swimming, gym, racket sports, tai chi, and yoga.
Benefits of Exercise
- Reduce the risk of heart disease — If you are overweight or obese, you are more likely to have heart disease. Regular exercise can improve your cardiovascular function and thus reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Reduce the risk of Diabetes — Physically active people are less likely to develop Diabetes, as exercise increases the body’s ability to use glucose for energy and thus reducing the need for insulin.
- Improve memory — Exercise may increase blood flow to all organs in the body, including the brain, which is good for revitalizing your mind.
- Improve sleep patterns
- Increase the body’s muscle mass
- Boost energy levels
- Improve psychological well-being
- Reduce stress and depression
For the greatest overall health benefits, it is recommended to do 15 to 30 minutes of aerobic activity three times or more a week and some type of muscle-strengthening activity at least twice a week. However, if you can not do this activity, you can gain substantial health benefits by accumulating 30 minutes or more of moderate-intensity physical activity a day for at least five times a week.
Limit Alcohol Drinks
Alcohol is responsible for a wide range of health problems which is associated with dehydration, unconsciousness, and drowsiness. If you continue to drink heavily, you are risking your health for more serious health problems, including cancer, liver problems, and heart disease. In terms of healthy living, it is advised to drink no more than two glasses a day for men and no more than one glass for women.
As everyone knows, smoking can lead to various health problems and diseases, either directly or indirectly. Also, it has been suggested that smoking can worsen chest problems, allergies, and colds. While engaged in exercise, people who smoke also may experience shortness of breath. Secondhand smoke or passive smoking is also associated with cancer. Children who are passive smokers are more prone to pneumonia bronchitis, ear infections, and childhood asthma.
Why should you stop smoking?
From what most people who quit smoking suggest, they have given up their habit to create better lifestyle opportunities for themselves and others — improve their sex lives, attract the opposite sex or reduce any potential harm to their health. Much current research suggests that non-smokers live ten years longer than smokers do.
By quitting smoking, you will see a dramatic improvement to your health, which will ultimately make your life feel more fulfilling, meaningful and fun.
CRO Akwa Wellness